Foreign Government

Foreign Governments may make requests to the PNG Government to designate a person or entity using PNG’s domestic process, which means that it must comply with the same criteria for domestic designation under the Sanctions Act.  

Such a request MUST be made by an authorised body or person acting on behalf of the foreign government to the Prime Minster of PNG as the authority responsible for considering such requests. Such a request is usually transmitted through diplomatic channels.

Upon receipt of a request for designation from foreign governments, the Prime Minister shall transmit a request for designation from a foreign government to the Sanctions Secretariat, which will process the request in accordance with the procedures for domestic designation.  This facet of designation recognises the transnational nature of threats which are subject to this act, therefore, facilitating and enhancing international cooperation amongst countries.


PNG can send a request for designation to a foreign government. PNG’s request for designation will be subject to the domestic process of the Foreign Government it sends its request to. Prior to sending a request for designation to a foreign government, the Sanctions Secretariat has to contact its counterparts in the foreign jurisdiction seeking information on the application of the legal standard for designation in that country.

Once the Sanctions Secretariat confirms the legal standard for designation in a foreign jurisdiction, it prepares the necessary documentation for consideration by the NSAC. Where the NSAC is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to support a request for designation to a foreign jurisdiction, then the NSAC can advise the Sanctions Secretariat to prepare the necessary request with the information needed to be further vetted by the NSAC for final approval.  The NSAC advises the Prime Minister of the request and the Prime Minister makes the determination as to how the request is transmitted, whether directly ( Department of PM & NEC) or through diplomatic channels.